Walking away is not an option... dialogue must prevail.

"A good listener tries to understand what the other person is saying. In the end he may disagree sharply, but because he disagrees, he wants to know exactly what it is he is disagreeing with."
- Kenneth A. Wells

"I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace."
- Helen Keller

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dancing, dancing, dancing!

I've been struggling with a very long week and looking forward to the weekend. My week is just a continuation of last week as I worked over the weekend. But the dancing I saw last night will allow me to finish my week without throttling anyone.

My challenge in presenting these clips of my favourite couples is the following.

I could expound profound and talk about the dances, but a) I don't have time and b) that's not how I experience dance. Basically, dance is, with all it's technique, all about the expression of emotion. It's about reaching a part within you and bringing it out to the surface. Sometimes it reaches deep within, in places you've buried and hadn't planned on ever letting out again. And other times it just makes you happy.

I've chosen one word for each of these dances. It was like a therapy exercise.

First up, I wanted to share with you the darling Allie and Gene Kelly-like Danny (for some reason, I associate her with pink) and their Quickstep, as engineered by Pierre Allaire (félicitations Pierre, quelle belle chorégraphie!):

The word is: CLASSIC



Second, this dance crafted by Sean Cheesman... an Afro-Jazz as interpreted by Lisa and Vincent-Olivier (my other favourite couple)

The word is: JOY



The cool thing is the dancers felt JOY and so did the judges... and my heart sings. Ok, and maybe a tear to my eye. The music was so very uplifting.

Now, on to Natalli and Francis (my other other favourite couple)and .... the RUMBA! mmmmmmmmm! The dance of Love. Gustavo Vargas gives us yet another beautiful story.

My word is: DESIRE (the other word is LEGS LEGS LEGS!)



Oh.. Congratulations to Francis Lafrenière and his real-life partner, Claudia Primeau... good luck representing Canada at the World Championships! (Did I mention he lives IN MY CITY????? THUD!!! Now I know why he looked familiar, I probably saw him at the supermarket while I was picking out my produce... THUD!)

And now.. a very powerful and beautiful dance as choreographed by Blake McGrath (you were right Blake, tears!) and danced by my absolute favourites, Arassay and Nico.

My word is: SOULFUL

This dance found my heart made it swell with emotion.



This dance was the expression of an emotion so many have experienced... the struggle with ending a relationship that just doesn't work. And the symbiosis between choreographer and dancers was powerful.

The smile on Chicklet's face when she watched this dance was too adorable, Lara and Miles have a wonderful connection and entertain in this Krump by Lil' C.



Chicklet's word: COOOOOOOOOL! (and BUCK! LOL)

Oh.. and I just have to say, I love Jean-Marc Généreux... Having Kenny Ortega and Pau Becker as guest judges this week was wonderful.

I'll catch up when the insanity of work allows.

Miss visiting you guys.

Smooches and hugs!

15 comments:

Dana said...

I confess, these dancing shows do nothing for me ... but you do! So I stopped in to say HELLO *waves arms wildly*

steenky bee said...

I'm so addicted to SYTYCN American style. They just came to my hometown on tour. Whoot-whoot!

Akelamalu said...

What a great way of describing the dances!

TopChamp said...

I love the descriptions - and enjoyed watching the dances. I do like these shows.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Dancing makes the monkeys fade away...or so I hear

Liz Hill said...

Legs legs legs bring on the soulful classic--desire;-)

Anndi said...

Dana: Maybe I should move you around the dance floor ;)

Steenkybee: I'm sure Chicklet and I will look into a tour if they have one. Of course, one of the dancers actually lives in my hometown! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Akelamalu: Thank you my friend.

Topchamp: I love the dancing. LOVE IT!

Bond: Well... at least they fade a bit.

Turnbaby: Those words come together and spell JOY! ;)

Meribah said...

Here's wishing you a very relaxing weekend, my dear. Hugs! :)

Travis Cody said...

I am resisting the urge to review the dances. (And you know how difficult that is for me because I love dance and sometimes can't help but give my opinion of it) Instead I shall follow the example of one word visceral responses.

Allie & Danny: Flawless!

Lisa & Vincent-Olivier: Freedom.

Natalli & Francis: Sensual.

Arassay & Nico: Raw.

Dianne said...

my best moment is when a dance will send shivers up my spine!

hope work gets a bit calmer soon

Slyde said...

i just cannot get into these dancing shows...

Barbara said...

Hi Anndi,
How are you ?
I just wanted to say Hi and hoping & that you & Chicklet are doing well.
I'm going to gracefully shuffle ( or trip) away on my two left feet.
I'm sure that you are a much better dancer than I'm!
Bises

CrystalChick said...

I don't watch much of the dancing shows but caught a few minutes here and have to say I think I like the Rumba the best!
All of them have such a love of dance though that you must appreciate them all. And I'm a music lover so can appreciate them that way.

Hope things at work calm down soon.
Peace, M

Gene Bach said...

My family loves those dancing shows. I never could get into them LOL!

By the way, I decided to start blogging again and threw a new post up today if you wanted to check it out. Take care.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Checking for a new post...

looks around nope nothing here

A week of new music on The Couch and I put a warmer on your seat..ya know leather gets cold and it has been chilly here in Memphis...