Walking away is not an option... dialogue must prevail.

"A good listener tries to understand what the other person is saying. In the end he may disagree sharply, but because he disagrees, he wants to know exactly what it is he is disagreeing with."
- Kenneth A. Wells

"I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace."
- Helen Keller

Monday, November 30, 2009

if it's going to be winter...

You'd think a Canadian such as myself would like winter... and to be honest, there are SOME things about it that I do enjoy. My issue with the season is how LONG it lasts (but I won't dwell... trying to stay positive).

So this morning, I woke up to snow on the ground. Sticky, wet snow... the good snowball and snowman kind (see?! still staying positive... until someone lobs one of them there snowballs at me and it falls down the back of my shirt...).

And I actually caught myself smiling. I felt a little squeeeee in my heart.




Chicklet loves winter. I did too when I was her age. Laying in the snow that covered the front lawn, after dark with the multi coloured BIG bulbs covering the tree... big snowflakes the size of quarters falling slowly and landing on my rosy cheeks, my nose and yes, even my eyelashes (which, when you're laying on your back, isn't really that pleasant if bits of the snowflake pokes you in the eyeball and deprive you of your sight... but let's not think about that, staying positive.) And everything sparkled.


But like Frank says... watch out where the huskies go...

This snowfall was just what I needed to get my rump in gear. Of course this means I have to yank the tree out of the attic (some other day). Something Daddy used to do when I was a kid. He'd always let me climb up the ladder and peak up there. Of course, he held me so I wouldn't fall.




There I'll be, perched on the stepladder (some other day), probably on my tippy toes (I should put on shoes, yeah?), with the top half of my body cold (like I'm going to put a coat on for this! but then I might catch pneumonia and die), the smell of the attic filling my nostrils (where's the nose plug or Febreze when you need it?), trying to grab the boxes of Christmas stuff (who pushed them so dang far? Oh yeah... I did...).




And of course, in the attic, there's that pink insulation wool thing... and I'll be itchy... And then the lights. You know, some lights won't work.

Yeah... I'm positive. I mostly hate winter.

Sigh. Maybe just half a drink more...


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

17 comments:

Irish Gumbo said...

Frank always did have practical advice, for them that cares to listen.

Happy winter, Anndi!

Ron said...

Ok...can I just tell you how MUCH I loved this post?

OMG...I also let out a squeeee when I saw that first photo!

Please know that I'm so jealous because I LOVE the first snowfall and we haven't had ours yet. And probably won't get it until January...boo-hoo!

Such touching memories of you and your father.

It brought make so many wonderful Christmas memories for me!

Thanks, Twin!

Maybe just half a drink more...

HA!

X to you and Chicklet

Mimi Lenox said...

I can just see you going through every one of those steps and saying every one of those words in parentheses all out of breath and taking it all in ...the past and the present...as only you can...and then wrapping it up in a big ole' bow of memory.

Smile.

Anndi said...

Irish, that he did. I'll try, you too my friend.

Ron, your comments always make ME smile. I hope you get a sprinkling to help you through the Christmas shopping massacree. **hugs**

Mimi, I'll try... SMOOCH

Charles Gramlich said...

The length of the Canadian winter was Lana's issue as well.

Akelamalu said...

I hate winter but I LOVE Christmas! Now where's me tree??? :)

Anonymous said...

I always loved winter. Of course, I am much further south so it doesn't last as long (summer, however, is sweating mosquito infested annoyance).

Brian o vretanos said...

I remember that after my father died, Christmas was never the same, as much as we tried to preserve the things that he used to do.

Today was definitely the first day of winter here - considerably colder and frostier. But snowless, as usual.

Connie said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I really, really, really do not like winter. I don't like the snow or the ice or the cold. I like Christmas though! Christmas is good! I'm trying to stay positive too. ;D

Cooper said...

And he started to whippin' on my favorite baby seal...with a led filled snow shoe....

He went right up side the head of my favorite baby seal. He went "WAP" with the lead filled snow shoe. He hit him on the nose and he hit him on the fin and he... (wailing guitar...)

Desert Songbird said...

I wish I could be a kid again when it comes to snow. I really do. But as a practical adult, one can not HELP but moan at the thought of snow and cold weather. I know, I know, I should be grateful I don't have to face it here where I live, but even the thought of it makes me ache. My kids really miss going to their grandparents for Christmas, but hubby and I just can't do it. We can't face it. Ugh.

To be a kid again...

Captain Dumbass said...

My son is freaking out because he can see snow on top of the mountains on the north shore. I have to explain every day that those mountains are pretty high and it's just not cold enough down here. Plus I think we're getting a serious El Nino ass kicking this year so we'll probably only get rain.

And my decorations are going up as soon as the carpet cleaners leave.

Bogey said...

Anndi, I think winter is all a matter of perspective. I'm sure there are those who wouldn't mind if it snowed on Christmas Eve and melted by Boxing Day. What makes winter feel longer, is that the amount of daylight is so short. Once you hit December 21st, it all starts going the other way again. So in reality, 3 more weeks and you can start counting up to Spring. One of my favourite times of the year while living in Montreal was tobagganing down Mont Royal in the winter. Blue skies, sunshine and Hot Chocolat...you can't beat that. Perspective....

Nessa said...

Maybe if i keep saying i want snow on everyone's blogs, I will get it soon.

Name That Christmas Song

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Don't miss it - nope I don't

Mimi Lenox said...

Just checking to see if it's still winter....hugs.

Meribah said...

Snowstorms are GREAT when you're a kid cuz they usually mean a DAY OFF SCHOOL!!! :P