Walking away is not an option... dialogue must prevail.

"A good listener tries to understand what the other person is saying. In the end he may disagree sharply, but because he disagrees, he wants to know exactly what it is he is disagreeing with."
- Kenneth A. Wells

"I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace."
- Helen Keller

Monday, September 21, 2009

World Peace Day

It seems an ominous task, World Peace.

And no, I'm not participating in a pageant...

I just want the world to be a better place for my child.

So as we strive for World Peace, start in your heart, in your home, in your workplace, in your car (be nice and control the road rage), in your school (that's for my Chicklet), at the market, ...

and maybe it'll catch on.




If there is to be peace in the world,
There must be peace in the nations.

If there is to be peace in the nations,
There must be peace in the cities.

If there is to be peace in the cities,
There must be peace between neighbors.

If there is to be peace between neighbors,
There must be peace in the home.

If there is to be peace in the home,
There must be peace in the heart.


-- Lao Tzu (570-490 B.C.)


9 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Oh, I love that peace symbol.

Brian o vretanos said...

You're right that it starts within us. We need to stop viewing others as enemies.

I wonder if that's possible. I hope so.

Cooper said...

Imagine.....

(kewl graphic)

Anndi said...

Charles, I love it too. Peace is so much prettier than war.

Brian, it's not as monumental a task as people think it is. It starts in our hearts.

Cooper, I like people with imagination. (Isn't it?!)

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

It's hard not to be pessimistic. I sometimes think our behavior is based on population, that as we increase there are instinctual behaviors that kick in to bring things under control. Talk about nihilistic, eh? And sometimes I think that peace is something quite personal and doable.

Travis Cody said...

I think we all have to want to do our part, even in response to those who only seem to want to shout and stomp and throw tantrums.

Akelamalu said...

Peace - we live in hope.

Dianne said...

I always feel peaceful when I think of my kiddo and her chicklet :)

Mimi Lenox said...

Happy Peace Day!