Walking away is not an option... dialogue must prevail.

"A good listener tries to understand what the other person is saying. In the end he may disagree sharply, but because he disagrees, he wants to know exactly what it is he is disagreeing with."
- Kenneth A. Wells

"I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace."
- Helen Keller

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

a beautiful day...

Happy Birthday, Canada!

I am Canadian. No matter where life may take me, this will remain a big part of who I am.

"I am a Canadian,

free to speak without fear,

free to worship in my own way,

free to stand for what I think right,

free to oppose what I believe wrong,

or free to choose those who shall govern my country.

This heritage of freedom

I pledge to uphold

for myself and all mankind."

Extract from the Canadian Bill of Rights - July 1, 1960

I am a proud Canadian, because of the heroes that came before me... and the heroes that are yet to be.

People like my father...


and

Our Armed Forces










"Our hopes are high. Our faith in the people is great. Our courage is strong. And our dreams for this beautiful country will never die."
Pierre Elliott Trudeau

12 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

And a fine Canada Day to you, my dear Ann.

Brian o vretanos said...

I don't know if it's customary to wish someone Happy Canada Day, but all the best anyway, and I hope life's treating you okay.

Dianne said...

Happy Canada Day kiddo

I love my neighbors to the north :)

Jeff B said...

Enjoy the celebration my dear.

Travis Cody said...

Canada Day, CAKE, and Dancing...a most outstanding combination!

Ron said...

Hello Twin!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CANANDA!!!!

You know, I've never been there, but everyone who ever has, always says nothing but GREAT things about your home.

So be proud, my friend!

I really love the photo of your father!

Great post!

Anonymous said...

I spilled my soda standing up too quickly to salute the flag....

nice tribute...

Charles Gramlich said...

I wished Lana a happy Canada day this morning.

Unknown said...

Oh, no! I forgot to blog about Canada Day!

[:-(

Akelamalu said...

Happy Canada Day Anndi :)

nitebyrd said...

I hope you enjoyed the day. Our "day" is tomorrow. It's a wonderful thing to be proud of one's country and to have the freedom to say so, isn't it?

Meribah said...

Happy (belated) Canada day. Hope it was a good one! :)